> Ian bell schreef
> > Thanks for the detail. I find it really hard to get my head around
> > OOP. It just seems to put barriers in the way of what I want to do.
> > Can you think of any reason why it would want or need a procedure in
> > this form?
> I guess the best advise we can give you is:
> "Get a book on OO programming and start studying that."
> Once you get the hang of OO you do not want to do anything else anymore. :)

Absolutely not - I do procedural and OO programming and sometimes procedures
and functions
fit the job better. OO can be suited for GUI widgets, as long as not too much
inheritance
is used.

Sometimes I do wish that a TSomeWidget was not inherited 500 times because I
have to go on
a wild goose chase to find the code that actually runs the SomeWidget. Try
debugging
something that is inherited so many times, and you can't find the bug. Nail the
right
procedure in procedural code and you find the bug. Advantages/disadvantages of
both
programming paradigms.

Procedures are something everyone can agree on, and with Pascal units you can
organized
procedures nicely - with C it becomes messy because they don't have units to
modularize
their procedures. THere is an operating system done in OO (Symbian OS ??) and
guess
what happened: everyone had a terrible time interfacing into it. Talk about
code reuse.
Interfacing into an API is code reuse. And they were having problem with reuse,
by
using OO..