> On 4/26/06, L505 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The only way a real "free" server could ever exist, is if we had free solar
> >power/alcohol
> > power and free hardware foundations
>
> Free as in Freedom.

The patronization - I've read the differences between cost and speech for 5
years now. I'm no GNU amateur - I know all about RMS.

But if you read my message again - you will see that I wasn't talking about
cost - you
just interpreted it that way. Read my message again in the notion that I was
talking
about speech, then.

> Not Free Beer.
>
> Or more clearly: Free software is about Freedom and not about cost.

The GNU states that you must not hide the sources and charge money for
your source code. This is clearly about cost, which is one aspect of freedom.

Cost + OtherRestrictions := PartsOfFreedom;

And what about if I declare a license on consulting to be free (as in speech,
yah yah, I
heard you)?
You may not directly charge money for the consulting about your software - you
may only
charge money for services that ship the consulting of your software to your
friend.

But wait a minute, consulting does not need to be shipped. It can be submitted
electronically. So what do you do then, Richard?

So RMS is out of a job?
(I believe most free software folks make their living off consulting and custom
software.)

Taking this one step further: if I declare a free custom software license that
states that
all custom software must be free (as in speech, yah yah, not about cost), and
you can not
directly charge money for the custom software, as that is a restriction. Then
what do you
do?

ESR out of a job now too? (Eric states on his website that one way to be
corporate with
open source is to create custom software - catch22).

Cost is one restriction - and is a part of the whole freedom issue.

Again - but if you read my message again - you will see that I wasn't talking
about cost,
you just interpretted it that way. Read my message again in the notion that I
was talking
about speech, then.