darekM wrote:
roozbeh gholizadeh napisaƂ(a):

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:02:54 +0330, Marc Weustink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:42:46 +0330
"roozbeh gholizadeh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:12:10 +0330, Marc Weustink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

roozbeh gholizadeh wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:43:28 +0330, Florian Klaempfl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Micha Nelissen wrote:

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

First of all: 'unicode' is merely a table. The computer needs an
encoding.
The LCL supports UTF-8. So, yes, there is already a unicode LCL.
Probably you want UTF-16 for wince.

Maybe it's possible to use internally a type for unicode which is OS
dependend.
This requires a lot of code to be rewritten but it makes it possible
to use
native unicode type on platforms where utf-8 is uncommon.

How to solve streaming of component text then (LFM etc) ?

Well, data stored in files needs always conversion when working cross

platform.

So if using utf-8 is a case,you mean i return utf-8 data from tedit.text?or convert it to ansi?
in this way how can user have an tedit with support for unicode?

I think it should return a utf8 string. THen you still have al chars.

So what happens if i set that text to another label.caption?or write it into a file? Also is string1 + string 2 supported?i mean if one is ansi another is utf8
what happens?

You get rubbish. Of course you can not mix encodings.

Overall i mean should we from this point think of ansistring always containing utf8 or not it can have both meanining within lcl interfaces?

No. At least not at the moment.

If you ask me that will be the case someday. IMO laz can't do without it if we want to be cross platform or want to run the same exe on different configured distros.

Anyway,is it a good idea to add widetext and widecaption to all wince controls? Anyway the overhead in wince is using ansistring,becouse the whole system is unicode. I think also adding this in all lcl controls is a good thing,if platform supports it users can use it,and if not well they can leave it alone.
So this way all controls can be used as unicode!

What about add CodePage property to LCLControl
then all widget will know at runtime it have caption string in UTF8, wide or raw string

And who or what will do the conversions of the stings if they were coded in a different encoding ?

Marc