I am encountering problems on Fedora Core 5, in that lazarus crashes on displaying some design time forms. The problem seems to be in the JITForms.pp the code arounf line 920:

  CodeTemplate:=MethodAddress('DoNothing');
  CodeSize:=100; // !!! what is the real codesize of DoNothing? !!!
  GetMem(NewCode,CodeSize);
  Move(CodeTemplate^,NewCode^,CodeSize);

creates some new code on the heap, which exec-shield does not like. It can be fixed as root by:

echo 9 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

(The default value is 11 on my system) but I was wondering if there was a better way to fix this. Reading a bit about exec-shield indicated that executable code on the heap was not portable, so this problem could appear elsewhere.

Colin