> Why this pixbuf is needed ?
To load and handle images.

> It's not a common package as I see.
But it is common as I see it, as it has AFAICR been on my system since RedHat
6.0. But AFAIK it is gtk-1.2 specific and not needed in gtk-2.x.

> Any way
> to build Lazarus application for Linux which do not depend on pixbuf ?
Perhaps, if you don't need any images and yes, icons and most gtk themes do
count as images. So I don't think there is a way. At least if you use gtk.
I don't know about qt or other widget sets, but i cannnot imagine that they
need a gdk lib, so there would be other libs to do the job, but that is just
speculation.