> > 3. ASP.NET ties you to the Windows IIS server.  Apache is still the
> > most used webserver, PHP the most used web scripting language.

Nope, ASP.net runs on Apache too (even without using mono, but classic
.NET
runtime)

As far as I see the (french) dotnetguru link, Apache doesn't really
execute
ASP.NET, but people punch a hole through it to link it to Cassini.

That is a whole different thing than Apache running ASP.NET.

IIS isn't running ASP.net either, it doesn't know about ASP.net itself. .NET
just installs an ISAPI handler for IIS to give .ASPX stuff to .NET Runtime
(it spawns a CLR instance inside IIS process or out of process or even a
separate CLR process for each ASP.net webapp [has option for that for more
security - when CLR comes down it won't bring IIS down])

Also see Cassini small .NET webserver (mentioned above), ASP.net doesn't
need IIS.

Isn't Cassini simply a cut down IIS? IIRC that is how MS presented it at a
VS2005 introduction.

nope, from what I remember it's a web server built on just .NET, not using
native code (MS marketing guys tend to oversimplify and sometimes distort
things). Cassini came out I think of www.asp.net effort of ASP.net team, to
make a free tool for authoring ASP.net websites (at VS.net 2002 era), the
tool was called WebMatrix and had its own embedded webserver. Later on the
tool must have been merged with the free Visual Studio.net WebDevelopper
Express edition (and concepts from the tool were merged into VS.net 2005
[e.g. VS.net 2002 forced you to separate backend logic from page markup in
contrast to classic ASP which newbe users didn't like although I loved
myself - WebMatrix was only allowing to merge the markup and backend logic
as in classic ASP - now the VS.net IDE allows you to do both ways])

> > So where is the advantage ? It's all a lot of marketing talk.
> > Under the hood, there is nothing new or even innovative...
>
> I like ASP.NET. Also the gigantic size of the .NET API's, and
> also a bit the vastly expanded methods of databinding.
> However only in combination with ASP.NET you could convince
> me that that is something that might be better than what I/we
> already have. And then only on Windows, the whole
> multiplatform angle is IMHO bogus.

See above, it's not only for Windows or IIS

See above :-)

see above :o)))

greetings to all,
George