On 11/7/06, Mattias Gaertner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:09:59 +0100
Bogusław Brandys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Adrian Maier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While editing source code in Lazarus, i am currently noticing the
> > following behaviours:
> >
> > (Linux ;  Lazarus (svn) compiled with gtk2 ; freepascal 2.0.4.)
> >
> > 1) In XFCE4:  after choosing a method/property from the code
> > completion popup,
> >   the focus is set to the window that contains the menu and tools
> > (instead of
> >   the editor window).
> >   So, i must click on the editor before going on with typing code.
> >
> > 2) In KDE, the behaviour is even more annoying:   apart from the
> > above problem ,
> >   i also need to click on the code completion popup because it is
> > not getting
> >   focus and therefore the arrows don't work .
> >
> > As you can imagine, this behaviour is quite irritating .  A lot of
> > mouse clicks...
> >
> > This is probably not a bug in Lazarus, but the window manager.
> > What do you think ?

If it works with gtk1, then it is a LCL gtk2 interface bug. Does it
work with gtk1 for you? Under gnome it works with gtk1.

In gtk1 it works fine.   So in this case it's a gtk2 problem.

> Well,I think it might be  a Lazarus code completion bug. I think that
> correct behavior is not show it modally (eating focus) but let user
> type further code and bold part of code currently typed - like in
> delphi.

Under linux/gtk1/gnome I can type code, when the completion box is
open. Cursor keys UP/Down switches selection. Return key closes box and
replaces identifier with selection. Shift+Return appends identifier.
Escape closes box without change. Normal key ('a'..'z') appears in the
source editor and reduces the shown possibilities in the box.

> I found it very handy.If this is too difficult maybe it's
> possible to allow using Ctrl+J even inside code part

To avoid misunderstanding:
Ctrl+J is code template. Do not confuse this with Ctrl+Space identifier
completion (Delphi slang: code completion) and Ctrl+W word completion.
All three show the completion box.

I was referring to identifier completion: Ctrl+Space , followed by "dot" to
see the object's methods and properties.

Cheers,
Adrian Maier