On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 21:41 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I'm taking the liberty of CCing this to Steema. Perhaps they'd like to drop in
> and discuss it? :-)

Would be nice if David would reply :)

> Luis Rodrigues wrote:
> >
> > I exchanged some email with them because I'm porting Epanet to Lazarus
> > (it is a Delphi 3 app) and needed the source for TeeChart3.
> >
> > Tryed to convince then to release that version under GPL (since it an
> > old version (+-10 Years) I thought that it wouldn't be a problem but
> > they didn't :(
>
> I dropped them a note about three years ago but didn't get a reply. Like you I
> think v3 would be quite adequate, in fact for basic graphing it might be
> preferable to anything newer because there would be fewer seldom-used "bells
> and
> whistles" to get working.

I think it would be very good for lazarus to have a good Tee-Chart
compatible graphing component. The easiest way would be for Steema to
publish a GPL version of and old version of Tee-chart.

I believe that releasing the source with GPL license for such an old
version wouldn't be a problem. But that's their choice.

Maybe the community could buy the source (like the blender people).

> In my case I'd quite happily pay for a source license provided that there was
> some minimal chance of getting things working and that they would be prepared
> talk to me rather than threatening me for making unauthorized modifications.
> Obviously a free ("as in beer") version would be nicer but they've got a
> business to run.

The is the entry on the forum:
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1083&highlight=teechart

so it would apear they want to support lazarus