On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Marc Weustink wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> >> No, otherwise I would have written that.
> >>
> >> I finally got it reproduced. Major problem for me is that when I once
> >> switched the keyboard layout using xmodmap, the problem disapears, so
> >> I've to reset the xserver.
> >>

> >> Saying so.... maybe this is a workaround, can you try it ?
> >>
> >> xmodmap -xpe | xmodmap -
> >
> > I'd rather not mess with my X settings if it's OK with you.
> > I did the same once for Kylix (same problem as Lazarus now)
> > and in the end I had to reboot my PC to fix things :(
> >
> > in each case, your command is wrong:
> >
> > home: >xmodmap -xpe
> > usage:  xmodmap [-options ...] [filename]
>
> ah... typo, should be -pke
>
> > What should this test do and how does it help you ?
>
> with xmodmap you dan define your keyboard layout (for your current x
> session, no permanent changes)

I know that.
I still remember that from trying to run X on Linux 1.19 :-)

But I got some pretty strange results when I tried this kind
of magic - back when Kylix 3 suddenly messed up...

> xmodmap -pke dumps the current layout in a form xmodmap itself can read.
>
> so "xmodmap -pke | xmodmap -" sets the layout you currently have. And
> nothing should change.

Obviously not, see your own results :-)

> > I can send you the output of xmodmap -pke to you if that helps you ?
> > The ones no longer working are these:
> > keycode  16 = egrave 7 braceleft seveneighths braceleft seveneighths
>
> They look similar to the ones I get. For retrieving these codes myself,
> I use the XKeyCodeToKeysym() function.
> However for keycode 16 it returns:
>
>   egrave 7 null null seveneighths null null null
>
> after running "xmodmap -pke | xmodmap -" it returns:
>
>   egrave 7 braceleft seveneighths seveneighths null null null

Haha, and you want me to run this ? Thank you ! ;-)
Who knows what happens ? Maybe I end up with Dvorak ! ;-)

> So somehow, initially the second group (braceleft seveneighths) is missing.
> I'm now figuring out why and why xmodmap doesn't have this problem

Tricky, I'm sure. In case it helps, my X config file contains:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard[0]"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "Protocol" "Standard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "be"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xfree86"
EndSection

> > all of them rather important when programming, I'm sure you'll agree :-)
>
> Yes I do understand. It is exaclty the reason why I need to swich
> layouts during programming/testing. Without having such keyboard it's
> hard to press the right key.

What was the original reason for wanting to change the behaviour ?
Everything worked fine till now ?

Michael.