Btw as you said this: There is some --only-deps (or so) option for
emerge. :)

I also use Lazarius via subversion and only installed it locally in my
home-folder, because I don't like the GTK2 version of Lazarus much (as
it is not stable). I also want to have write access to it to recompile
it time from time (for testing something and so on) and this is against
the idea to have an application installed in the system (no user account
on a system should never have write access to any globally installed
software).

But I use FPC via Portage, because it is stable from there. I wanted to
point out the thing with the USE flags, because it seems to me, that you
haven't understood this in detail. Perhaps I have missinterpreted this,
but if not, take a look at this technic. You don't need to have some
unclean installation of FPC in your system (every Gentoo user don't like
unclean installations not using Portage, because the advantage of Gentoo
is the cleanness of the system you got (if you don't break some basic
rules and one of these rules is: never install anything not using
Portage)).