On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Lee Jenkins wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>

> > If you don't use hand-coded assembler, it should be enough to compile your
> > program for i386 and AMD64. That should cover most distributions out there.
> > The compiler by default outputs code which can be run on almost any machine.
>

> Thanks very much for responding.  Remembering that I am still pretty new to
> linux when I ask; is there options to compile to different platforms from
> Lazarus? Or (more likely) I have to setup a box or VMWare images for each
> platform I want to target and compile the binary there?

I have an AMD64 with SuSE 10.1, and I can create FPC distributions for i386
and AMD64 on it without any additional setup, just by using the correct
compiler binary (ppc386 or ppcx64).

If you have only i386, then you can cross-compile for AMD64, but then you'll
need all libraries for an AMD64 system somewhere where the linker can find
them, plus a cross-compiler. There is a FAQ on how to create a cross compiler
(don't have the link handy now...)

> Dumb question, I know.

Not at all.
If you're new to linux and Lazarus, these are absolutely normal questions.

Michael.