ok, thank you for the explanation. I will consider it during my project developing. but it is not possible to use in some way the backup files in order to restore the saved files?
thanks,
andrea

Vincent Snijders wrote:
Andrea Mauri schreef:
Ok in order to compile it needs to save my project but look at this example:
I open an existing project, a very simple console application:

program project1;
{$mode objfpc}{$H+}
uses
  {$IFDEF UNIX}{$IFDEF UseCThreads}
  cthreads,
  {$ENDIF}{$ENDIF}
  Classes
  { add your units here };

begin
end. ------------
Then I modify it:

program project1;
{$mode objfpc}{$H+}
uses
  {$IFDEF UNIX}{$IFDEF UseCThreads}
  cthreads,
  {$ENDIF}{$ENDIF}
  Classes
  { add your units here };

begin
*  writeln('Hello world!');*
end.
I compile it and I close lazarus. Lazarus doesn't ask me anything. I open again my project and I have the second version while I want the first one because I never said to lazarus to save my modified project.

By giving the order to compile, you implicitly give the order to save.

If I perform the same steps in Delphi when I close my project Delphi asks me if I want to save my project and if I say 'no' when I open my project again I have the first version of my project.

Delphi can compile from files kept in memory, Lazarus cannot.

My "problem" is, I have a big project, with many units, I make a lot of modifications daily, I want to test if everything works as I want, so I compile my project many times in a day. I don't want that lazarus saves my project every time I compile it and I don't want to make a manual backup of my project every time I modify it. I want that lazarus saves my project only if I decide to save it and not if I compile it.

That is not possible. If you don't save your changes, your unchanged file will be compiled.

Is it not possible to have the same behavior as in Delphi?

At this moment, no.

Vincent

Andrea Mauri
PhD student - Chemical Sciences
Milano Chemometrics and QSAR Research Group
Department of Environmental Sciences
University of Milano-Bicocca P.zza della Scienza, 1
20126 Milano - Italy

Tel: ++39 02 64482801
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]