I've come across this problem as well.  At design time, I set the
colors of Panel to greens, reds etc so it is easy to work with in the
form designer. At runtime I reset those colors to clBtnFace.
I can't remember which event handler I had to use. OnCreate or OnShow.
I know one of them didn't work, though expected both to work equally
well.

I'll double check and get back to you on this.

Regards,
 - Graeme -