The only time I experienced a similar problem was when I gave kubuntu a try.
Suddenly Lazarus (in gtk2) and all my programs created by lazarus (with
gtk2) had this exact problem. Very annoying. Just using plain ubuntu with
standard themes I haven't had the problem though.

Charl

On 7/1/07, Mattias Gaertner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:30:10 +0400
Brad Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Henry Vermaak wrote:
> > On 30/06/07, Brad Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> G'day all,
> >>
> >> This is my last resort, I'm going mental.
> >
> > i consider that a virtue...
> >

> >> Something, somehow has changed the highlight settings on my object
> >> inspector treeview and compiler
> >> message box to a Dark blue/purple background with black text
> >> (which is nearly impossible to read).
> >>

> > i can't even find a way to change these settings.  have you tried to
> > fiddle around with your window manager settings (like themes)?
>
> I'll have a play. Both my machines are standard Ubuntu. One is 6.06
> and the other is 7.04, so Gnome with the "Human" theme I guess. I've
> only noticed this in the last couple of days so I had guessed
> something had changed in Lazarus. I may try an svn revert and see
> what comes up.
>
> I had already tried blowing away the ~/.lazarus directory.
>
> And while I was typing this E-mail I re-built latest svn with the
> gtk2 interface rather than the gtk and the problem is gone. Sweet :)
> Not a fix, but the widgets look so much nicer I'll leave it this way!

The color clHighlightText is now using the correct gtk
text_gc[GTK_STATE_PRELIGHT] style. Apparently this is buggy under gtk1
themes, so the gtk1 intf now uses the bg_gc[GTK_STATE_PRELIGHT] style
again, while the gtk2 intf can use the "right" one.
It should now work under gtk1+2.

Mattias