Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Christian Iversen schreef:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Hi,
I compiled a minimal project for GTK2 on arm-linux. Compilation went
fine but when I run the project on my arm-board I get :
(project1:1448): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Any suggestions where I should look to solve this ?
That's the X-server telling you that it cannot open the X display.
I thought so, but why ?
I already made a GTK2-application, by "hand" (using glade) but it's a
pain converting C to Pascal every time you change anything in your app's
GUI. But the program runs fine.

Where do you run it? On the arm board? Where does the X server run?

You can try to run "xhost +" on the X-server, but it is UNSAFE, and ONLY
for debugging. It allows everyone to read and write to your X display.
Is this just "xhost +" from the command-line (without quotes of course)
? This does not work on my arm-board.
No other suggestions ?

What is your "arm-board"? It doesn't sound like the machine that runs your X-server?

If you use a unix machine as a workstation, then try this line:

DISPLAY=:0 xhost +

(that just runs "xhost +" with the additional environment of "DISPLAY=:0" so that we are sure it is set)

This problem is not at all related to your program - it's a generic X problem. Try to get something like xterm or xclock running on the arm board, and you will see the same problem unless you fix the underlying problem. (Which could indeed be a missing $DISPLAY environment var, as pointed out by Tony Maro)

--
Regards,
Christian Iversen