Hi Darius,

Darius Blaszijk wrote:
1) package management is currently being developed under FPC (see fppkg and fpmkunit and http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPMake). It will consist of a "repository" with downloadable packages for FPC. This could be extended easily in the near future for Lazarus. But it will be a long way still.
I understand. Perl's package management system wasn't built overnight either.

2) Lazarus only supports static packages. So installing a package would always require to recompile Lazarus. I have no idea what the progress on this topic is. Perhaps the wiki has something on it, or someone from core can comment.
If that is the way that it is written so far then I accept what you say.

When I was at an OpenSource conference recently everybody was bragging how they got "their" perl module into cpan (the perl library repository). Now cpan is really huge - and some of the code quality on it is really high.

I've only mentioned this, because I've seen it elsewhere and know how powerful it can be. Kindof blows Torry out of the water so to speak. There is enough to get on with at the moment so it doesn't really present any problem. It's more of a wish-list thing.

Actually, package-management can be implemented via XML-RPC.. :-)

That is what made me think of it I guess...

Regards

David