I thought I'd have a go at finding a bug I reported today:

  http://www.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=9676

and I think I might get to the bottom of it eventually.

My question here is a tangential to this...

Is there any overview documentation about the architecture
of the LCL and what the normal sequence of events is for a
typical GUI application in general?

I'm talking internally and down to the widget interface level.

How closely to Delphi's VCL does the LCL correspond and how
useful (or misleading) is Borland's documentation when trying
to understanding LCL's internal design at these levels below
the VCL API layer.

For example, in this specific case I think the problem is
that the TComboBox name is being rendered (by GTK) before
the component streaming of the TComboBox has even started
(in TWinControl.InitializeWnd).

The TPanel works because its Caption is not rendered at
this point in the LCL bootstrap sequence.

However I'm not confident of this diagnosis yet because
I don't know the normal "sequence of events" and what is
supposed to happen.

I will soldier on with the debugger to learn by example
but if there is a source of information that might speed
up the process and help avoid any blind alleys it would
be most welcome :-)

Many thanks, Bruce.