On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:25:52 +0100
Vincent Snijders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Valdas Jankūnas schreef:
> >  I realize if i want unicode support i must use units "Laz_DOM",
> > "Laz_XMLRead", "Laz_XMLWrite" instead of FP "DOM", "XMLRead",
> > XMLWrite".
> >
> Which is contrary to what I would expect (although I think it may be
> true).

Many people expect contrary. That's the reason why the
UTF8/16 discussions come up so often.
The above is just proving that UTF-8 works with nearly no
special code because of its ansistring compatibility.

> The FP units use widestring internally, the Lazarus units
> ansistring, which may hold UTF-8 encoded strings.

Yes.

Here are the main differences:
the laz_XXX units use plain ansistrings, which work with
UTF-8. The IDE and LCL use UTF-8 too. They are often much faster. But
they lack some DOM features. They are only tested and maintained for
simple xml documents.

> Did you use UTF8Decode / UTF8Encode when you passed your UTF8 encoded
> strings to the widestring properties of the FP units?

Mattias