hi,
 Actually it is tchFileName:string and

tchFileName:=mainForm.SQLQuery1.FieldValues['tchFileName'];

Thanks> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:36:55 +1100> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
lazarus@miraclec.com> Subject: Re: [lazarus] DataBase Queries> > el stamatakos
wrote:> > Hi,> > I am working with a database and I am doing the following> > >
> tFile:string;> > > > tFileName:=mainForm.SQLQuery1.FieldValues['tFileName'];>
> > > where tFileName is in a database and is a string.> > > > I keep getting a
EVariant error on this line.> > Is there any way to force
mainForm.SQLQuery1.FieldValues['tFileName'] > > to return a string or at least
be less restrictive so as to run with a > > warning. Any ways around this would
be very helful. Thanks> > > > Lefti> Hi Lefti,> > Is the first declaration
meant to be tFileNAME: String ? If not, what > is tFileName ?> > I presume you
have a field called "tFileName" ?> > ps. You nay have a good reason for the
names tFileName and tFile, but > it seems to me you are asking for confusion,
because they look so much > like types. TFileName was a type (string[80} ?)
somewhere back in the > borland pascal or early Delphi days, I don't know if it
is still defined.> > cheers,> John Sunderland> >