On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Martin Roehrig wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Splint and although I browsed through the whole manual and read about
>half of it I still can't get an overview on how it
> all works together. Could you please help me with the following questions and/or
>point me to some HOWTO or technical overview?
>
> 1. What sorts of files (configuration, code description etc.) are used with Splint
>and which are the corresponding file extensions?

The easiest way to run splint is to just run it on your .c files (as shown
in http://www.splint.org/manual/html/sec1.html).

You can also use separate specification files.  See
http://www.splint.org/samples/db/index.html for a (somewhat obsolete)
example of how to do that.  If you want to define your own annotations,
you use an .mts file (see http://www.splint.org/manual/html/sec10.html).

The configuration file .splintrc (in the current directory, and then in
your home directory) can be used to set flags.

> 2. When and in which sequence are those files used by Splint?

The configuration and mts files are read first, then the specifications,
then the code files are checked.

--- Dave