> I'm using a compiler where short and int are equivalent (both 16 bits), but I'm
>using short explicitly in most cases (ie. in my typedefs).  I can use int instead,
>and the compiled code will be the same, but the warnings go away.  That seems to
>highlight an assumption in splint.

In your case using int and short inter-changeably may be okay but this would
of course cause problems on other platforms.  Splint does not try to make many
assumptions about the platform it's running on and tries to ensure code
portablity. So it reports an error.

The +matchanyintegral could be used to suppress these warnings.