Am 17.09.04, 02:26 +0200 schrieb Gerhard Fuernkranz:

> Kai-Uwe Behrmann schrieb:
>
> > agree. Only an example: the SGILOGLUV encoding in the TIFF spec is XYZ. I
> > simply like to handle these images as XYZ in floating point color space,
> > and see them through the correct monitor profile on screen.
> >
> The question is IMO, what's the expected result?
>
> I think a property of a HDR image seems to be, that it rather has no implied
> whitepoint luminance (or other viewing conditions). It captures the scene
> colorimetrically with a very high dynamic range, and this gives the
> opportunity to compute the appearance of the recorded scene for various
> different viewing conditions at a later time. But this also implies, that in
> order to render a HDR image for viewing (e.g. on the screen or any other
> output device), one needs to supply the desired viewing conditions as
> additional input parameter for the rendering process, and then the HDR image
> can be rendered for these viewing conditions. In the simplest case, the
> viewing condition represents just the luminance of the adapted white point,
> i.e. you need to specify, which Y value in the HDR image you want to get
> mapped to monitor white (-> luminance scaling only), but of course more
> sophisticated appearance models could be used as well.

As I spoke about an XYZ color image no whitepoint is needed. Of course to
change or interprete this image one have to make an desission, based on
the camera suggested whitepoint or selecting an own one. Regarding
whitepoint I see no difference to other images.

Of course luminance scaling is an serious point. But over white handling
has to been desided by the ICC. As a workaround I can think of scaling
inside CinePaint for displaying (the slider is allready there).

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + imaging development / panoramas
                                + color management