Hello,

After much research and many subscriptions to mailing lists, slowly
working my way up the food chain, I find myself here in the hopes that
I can find an answer.

I own a Pentax K-7 DSLR. It seems that any application that uses
LittleCMS for color management does not detect the embedded color
profile in the JPG and TIF files generated by my camera. This caused a
bit of a stir on pentaxforums.com, and I've determined that
camera-generated JPG and TIF files from many (perhaps all?) Pentax
DSLR models embed the color profile in a way that LittleCMS does not
detect. This is not limited to just my K-7. Pentax includes an option
to generate these files in either sRGB or Adobe RGB color space, but
neither one gets detected. Even the built-in monitor of the camera
fails to show the Adobe RGB images properly during playback. It
interprets them as sRGB, which makes them look washed out and bland
(does Pentax use LittleCMS in the camera firmware?). Due to the
inconsistent way that some applications handle this situation, it's
caused some headaches to my fellow Pentaxians. For example, Gimp does
not ask what to do when no color profile is detected, it just
interprets it in whatever working space is currently set in the
preferences.

Whatever system Adobe uses does properly detect the embedded color profile.

So far, my research has led me to believe this is due to an ICC
profile that's either embedded in a non-standard way, or in a version
that LittleCMS does not yet support.

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the subject, and if
there's anything I can do to help solve this problem. I am not a
developer, I'm just an amateur photographer who used to do a lot of
graphic design, but I'd be happy to help in any way I can. My system
(openSUSE 11.2) currently has lcms-1.18a installed.

Here are two files straight from my camera for reference:

Adobe RGB:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HAZjMzZWrtc/S05qkb7KkYI/AAAAAAAABCw/oPJ80XXYH-Y/d/_GOR3359.JPG

sRGB:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HAZjMzZWrtc/S05qk1yxBOI/AAAAAAAABC0/5kXGfiIIF7s/d/GORE3360.JPG