Hello. What is the most common way of storing dates in LDAP? Like
      * birthDate
      * anniversary
      * foundationDate
      * establishmentDate
      * registrationDate

Current our method is to store them as DirectoryString
        YYYYmmdd

======= USING Directory String ========

The up side is it's possible to search when certain part (year or month)
is not clear, e.g.:
    birthDate=*1220
Finds people who's birthday is today. It's not possible to do such
search with GeneralizedTime

The down side is it's not possible to search a range:
    foundationDate<20051220
This query returns zero result but NOT companies who started at least
one year ago.

The other down side is our web application handle multiple language
versions of directory string, thus it's possible to define English
birthDate and Chinese birthDate, which only creates confusion.

======= USING Directory String ========

The upside is to be able to search a range, the downside is it's not
easy to find all people born on certain date.

What would most people prefer when they *have to* store dates in LDAP?

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBJECT of the message.