On Mon Mar 05 2007 at 17:10:53 CET, Tim Tyler wrote:

>   Do you use ldapsearch command and tail -1 for the next uid?  Do you keep
> track of the latest assigned uid in a seperate file or something and
> increment the file appropriately?  I am curious if there is a
> recommendadtion for best practice in obtaining the next available uid?
> Any advise is much appreciated!

You could search for the last and increment, but that could cause a race-
condition if your program runs simultaneously (you don't want to issue
duplicate uids do you?)

We have created a simple objectClass which stores the highest assigned
uidnumber.

        objectClass: uidNumberManagement
        highestAssignedUidNumber: 13514

What our programs then do is to search for that attribute type and
do a MOD with two operations: delete the value and add an incremented
value. Since the DELETE will only work if the value is still in the
attribute type, we effectively have a 'transaction' which guarantees
uniqueness.

        -JP

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]