One way to increment your counter is to use the atomicity guarantee inherent in
the LDAP modify operation.

  1. read the current value of the counter attribute.

  2. modify the counter by performing a remove of the previously read value
     followed directly by an add of the new value (in a single operation).
     For example,

     ModificationItem[] atomicIncrement =
         new ModificationItem[]{
             new ModificationItem(
                 DirContext.REMOVE_ATTRIBUTE,
                 new BasicAttribute("nextAvailableUidNumber", CURRENT-VALUE)),
             new ModificationItem(
                 DirContext.ADD_ATTRIBUTE,
                 new BasicAttribute("nextAvailableUidNumber", NEXT-VALUE))
       };

    3. if the modify fails then re-read and re-modify.

The key element of this approach is that the entire modify operation will only
be performed if all its modifications are successful. The remove attribute
attempt will fail if the exact value being removed is not already present.