Matthew Hardin wrote:
Hi Howard,

The trace you supplied shows that the slapd process is loading Berkeley DB 4.6, which is specifically not supported in OpenLDAP 2.3. That's why slapd is dumping core. There are several reasons why slapd could be loading BDB 4.6, and I couldn't tell you exactly why unless I looked at the build. Most likely, though, it was used in the link phase, because back-bdb and back-hdb specifically check to make sure the library they loaded is the same version they were linked with. If they didn't match, back-[bh]db would not initialize and an (elegant) bail-out would take place much earlier. The fact that this problem exists and was so easy to find should tell you how much testing went into that build.

What I find odd is that HP offers 'free' OpenLDAP when OpenLDAP is one of it's supported Open Source offerings. Let me reassure you, HP's supported offerings are much more carefully tested and work much better than what you've seen here. I know, because besides having authored back-bdb and big pieces of OpenLDAP, we also produce the builds HP distributes:

   http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/255724-0-0-225-121.html

HP-UX on Itanium is one of our supported platforms.

We will contact the folks we work with in the HP organization to see exactly what's going on. If anything useful develops I'll let you know. I'm not trying to sell anything here, but if OpenLDAP is mission-critical to your operations, might I suggest that you contact HP for a supported version of OpenLDAP?

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Sincerely,

Matthew Hardin
Symas Corporation - The LDAP Guys
http://www.symas.com

Matthews answer is better (wasn't in my threaded mail client view for some reason) ;-)

Gavin.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.