We had this discussion last year -- check the archives for helpful links.

It was the Presiding Bishopric (who has the authority to speak for the Church) under the 1st Presidency who issued a statement that wards/stakes/members should remove all websites, not put any more up, and *only* use the facilities under lds.org.  This was done in 2000.  They are very concerned about privacy, stalkers, links to 'strange' sites, etc.  Bottom line: they asked us not do put up any websites -- or photo archives.

That being said, OSSers typically have some form of 'cyber-libertarianism' in their personality.  That's all good.  Standup for what you think is just.  HOWEVER, don't be afraid to live according to your (our) church leaders and their counsel.  All the good you think that you might do is void if you choose to go against the spiritual leaders.

Conforming to what is right is not bad -- simply because it is conforming...

IMO, the phrase, "the church is run by mere mortals", is simply a crutch or excuse for those who don't like what their being told and are looking for justification to go against it.  I understand all the annecdotes, but it's like the phrase, "obedience is better than _____" [fill in the blank].

Don't be afraid to be obedient.  If you are just learning about a policy and it's justification, hold off on the criticism until you learn all the facts...

Steve