-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Pratt, Dave
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 4:38 PM
To: LDS Open Source Software
Subject: RE: [Ldsoss] a new application

There should be careful thought, prayer, and inspiration involved in
deciding where to live.  This is a major decision that affects you and
your posterity.  I sincerely hope you don't believe there is a lack of
revelation in these important matters.  It was no mistake that Joseph
Smith's family moved to up-state New York. It is no mistake that you
live where you live, and have the neighbors you have.

There was a young man who grew up in Whittier, California.  After he
graduated from high school, his family moved back east.  He put his
mission papers in, and was called on a mission to California.  His first
area was in his home ward, the Whittier 7th ward. The ward members
called him Dave, not Elder Pope.  He could even give his own referrals,
because he already knew everyone in the area.  He called the mission
president, who affirmed that regardless of his growing up in that ward,
the Lord wanted him to be there. The President told him to pray about
it.  If you question your home teaching assignment, pray about it.

Now, as for ward maps & database stuff, my old bishop created a database
using Microsoft access that contains all known information about every
household within the boundaries, member or non-member.  I downloaded the
free shape files from Salt Lake County Recorder's website, opened them
in Arc view, exported them as windows meta-files, and imported them into
excel.  Then by using a csv file from the access database I can create
formulas so that by selecting a house you can read everything known
about that house.

I suppose most people would not appreciate being in a database, and this
is a very private database that is not known of, or shared with anyone
except the ward mission leader, bishop, and myself.

One of the main problems with a database is that people move quite
often.  Updating it is a major task.