Bill, I've been meeting with the team in charge of the MLS to see what exactly we can open up to the community for development. Good ideas!

Tom

Bill Pringle wrote:
The church doesn't need to understand open source methodology in order to take advantage of it, but they do have to be open to the idea of people writing whatever they believe is helpful, rather than controlling what the end results are. At present, the preference is to tell us what information we need and how we should update it.

For example, if the format of the MLS database were published so that we could write third party programs to extract information and create whatever reports, various people feel they need, that would be a great help. By providing an import feature that makes it easy for people to work on their PCs at home and then apply a series of changes would make life easier for EQ, HP, and RS presidents to maintain their HT/VT lists. Last Sunday we had a line waiting to get into the MLS system to update/print whatever people wanted, but somebody was updating their HT assignments, which used up most of the available time.

I rewrote my wardlist program (that worked with MIS) to handle the exports from MLS, and renamed it MLSRpt. It provides a number of reports that you can't get from MLS, but I need to extract the information, take it home, run my program, and then distribute the reports. This is because the export information contains sensitive information (e.g., ages for adults) that can't be distributed to the general congregation. If I knew the format of the MLS database, I could provide some programs that members could run to get the information they need without revealing any information they shouldn't have.

Although the old MIS system was a clunker, it was easy to write screen-scraping software to extract all the information and reformat it. With MLS that is much harder to do. While the Export feature made much of my life easier, the fact that some helpful information isn't available via export (like HT/VT visits) means that some information is much harder to get now.

When I was exec sec, I had most of the information that was needed for Bishopric, Welfare, etc. When a name came up, people would look to me to tell them what callings they had, who their HT/VT are, how much they have been visited, who they HT/VT and how often they visited their people, etc. This kind of information was very helpful to determine how best to serve that person and/or address any problem. I made these reports available to those who were authorized and interested in text or PDA forms (using MMS).

---
Bill Pringle
work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.unisysfsp.com
http://www.unisys.com
home/school: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.personal.psu.edu/~wrp103
http://CherylWheeler.com

Tom Welch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(801) 240-1609
(858) 829-4614 - Cell

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email