The other day, someone asked about a journaling application that could run
on Windows.  Given that the individual is on this list, I gather that they
are fairly technical, however it seemed like they wanted a turnkey solution
and not a new maintenance task.  The answers ranged from installing web
servers and interpreters like python (which I've found very useful in
computer security, btw), to managing Wiki variants.  Those are all really
good answers.  Let me repeat that, those are all really good answers.
However, they missed the mark in that they were providing an engineering
solution to an end-user requirement.  I don't know exactly which answer met
the requirement.  However the one that seemed to fit was the one that said
to use notepad and MS Word.  Why?  Not because it was necessarily the best
solution, but because it was likely the best one for an end user.  Remember,
Windows users are not dumb, they just have a different goal in mind -- and
the computer is just a means to their end.

Thanks, I'm one of the one's who provided a useful answer.  I also
asked for clarification on what the problem was and why they insisted
on a web based solution.  In my blog entry I list my issue with MS
Word (and OpenOffice) for a journal, and hence didn't recommend them.
I'm still waiting for more clarification from the original poster. (Of
course there are many CMS,wiki solutions that allow for what he's
asking for on the windows platform...)

With respect to Operating Systems and this list, I would think that
most here are technical enough that this shouldn't be an issue.  (I'm
sure I'm jaded though since I'm a developer ;)).  (I've programmed on
both MS and Unix environments and have to admit that my time with VB
contained the most headache ridden moments of my career).  Most Open
Source software is a little confusing to install on either unix or
windows platforms.

But the benefit is that it WILL (usually) work on most operating
systems, whereas the same is not true with proprietary solutions....

(Though mono might change this two+ years down the line, when all MS
apps are on top of the CLR.... yeah right....)

-matt