On Aug 24, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Tom Welch wrote:
Many java applications if using swing tend to have really ugly UI's. The fonts look terrible.

I wrote some code that can make them look a whole lot better. This code requires jre 1.5.

If you're on JDK5, just set this system property:

swing.aatext=true

and Swing will use anti-aliasing throughout.

If you're not on JDK5, probably best to create your own look-and-feel that simply subclasses an existing look and adds anti-aliasing to the UI delegates.

j.putClientProperty (com.sun.java.swing.SwingUtilities2.AA_TEXT_PROPERTY_KEY,Boolean.TRUE) ;

Using com.sun.* classes is risky. For something as trivial as a constant, probably best to define the constant yourself and use it that way. With Apple in the fray as a popular JRE implementor, this problem is not theoretical, though I suspect this code would still work as they in practice do include a lot of Sun's impl. in their own.

Ben