I would have to disagree about this not being a computer science problem.  Computers can't solve the problem for sure, but they can take us farther than we are now.  Our company focuses on Artificial Intelligence research and my background is in Computational Linguistics or in other words Natural Language Processing.

First, there are several tools that I know about that are at least heading in the right direction.

http://www.ancestry.com - Ancestry does have a little data mining group which is working on extracting information from the web automatically.  I applied for a job there a couple of years ago, but they were looking for more of a web interface person which isn't my strongest skill.  An example of where data mining/text processing is used is there obituary search.  They have a crawler which extracts information from obituaries so it can be added to their search engine.  It certainly isn't perfect, but it does a decent job.  I believe they also have a group which tries to combine information from various databases and build family trees with it.

http://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company/myheritage-research.php - My Heritage has a meta search engine for genealogy.  It searches quite a few other genealogy web sites for the name you give it and gives you all of the results.

http://www.werelate.org/ - We Relate searches the web for genealogy information.  I think this is becoming a great resource and will only get better.

These are all search engines, which isn't what quite what you were asking for, but I think it's as close as we can get to for now.  It may be even the best we will ever do, but if we can make better search engines, that will make genealogy much easier.  It would really be great if we could digitize genealogy books and make those searchable.

One paradigm which has been around for a while but hasn't taken off yet is the semantic web.  In theory it could enable more of what you are talking about.  The idea is to codify information so it can be understood by a machine.  So, in the context of genealogy, each person would have a unique identifier called a uri.  Then we can make assertions about different people.  For instance we can assert that http://www.familysearch.org/person1 is the same as http://www.ancestry.com/person2 and that http://www.familysearch.org/person1 is the child of http://www.ancestry.com/person3.  The semantic web technologies can also do inference, so a software agent could infer that that person 2 is also the child of person 3 as well.  Here's some more reading on it:

http://jay.askren.net/Projects/SemWeb/
http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/mleahey/genealogyAndSemanticWebXHTML.htm

In theory if all genealogy databases were coded up using the semantic web languages, computers could combine them to make family trees with some help from humans.  In practice I don't know if this will ever happen.  I don't know if the semantic web will ever taken off.  It's still very much a research topic and has been for quite some time.  I haven't really seen a real application come out of the research that couldn't be done just as easily with plain xml.

Now along those same lines, it sounds like the church's new genealogy web site uses the same principles in that each person has a unique identifier and that some at least limited inference can be done as far as asserting that people are the same people.  I'm very interested in being able to use the application, and can't wait until it's finished.  I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

A huge problem with having computers do the research in addtion to the Cambell's Soup problem is the problem of ambiguity.  If I search for John Smith in Family Search, it will come back with a lot of names, and it's quite difficult to figure out which John Smith's are the same person.  Human's would have to markup which John Smiths are the same, which it sounds like is the focus of the new church genealogy website.

Jay