On NPR I heard about one attempt to address the apparent shortcomings of
Wikipedia. Founded by Larry Sanger (one of the originals at Wikipedia), the
beta wiki is called Citizendium:

http://en.citizendium.org

They believe that the quality of information will be improved by eliminating
anonymity (though allowing pseudonymity), and encouraging "gentle" editing by
contributors with verifiable credentials.

I'm not certain that Wikipedia is using a failed model, but I'm curious how
Citizendium will compare over time.

Their LDS section is still really bare, providing a big opportunity for anyone
who wants to contribute.

Too bad I need to work tonight.

Richard Esplin