-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thomas Haws
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:33 PM
To: LDS Open Source Software
Subject: [Ldsoss] PHP remote development environment

I need to get more serious about my PHP (LAMP) development.  I have been
developing remotely for my web sites (including the Care For Life
charity) via the CPanel web editor using the Mozex Firefox extension to send
textarea to my local Windows editor.  The debug/test cycle is agonizing and
dangerous.  I think I probably inadvertently closed a browser tab the other
day and lost plenty of effort.

So, I wonder if this group has wisdom regarding the direction for me to go?
Here are some possibilities I have considered:

1.  Use vi in the Linux shell.  Do I have to?  My dad is pushing me that
way, but he says it takes months to learn vi right.

2.  Install a local development environment.  I don't know what this would
involve, but I like to be able to access my development environment from
anywhere.

3.  Some other (???) linux shell editor or environment.

Thanks beforehand for your help.
--
Tom Haws 480-201-5476
Have a beautiful day.