--John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Finlay
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:53 AM
To: LDS Open Source Software
Subject: RE: [Ldsoss] Database for FamilySearch OpenSource Client

I've used Derby and HSQL.  Both are good embeddable DBs.  It sounds like
H2 is worth looking into though.

For a database abstraction framework, I would go with the new standard
Java Persistence API (JPA).  With the JPA and Java 5's annotations and
generics, developing a persistence layer is a breeze.
 See http://java.sun.com/javaee/technologies/persistence.jsp
and http://java.sun.com/javaee/overview/faq/persistence.jsp

Here is a good tutorial using Netbeans and Derby
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/persistence/persistence-example.h
tml

The JPA also runs on top of an implementation like Hibernate or TopLink.
So you not only get the advantage of coding to an open standard, but you
also get the power and stability of hibernate.

--John

John Finlay

Instructor - Neumont University <http://www.neumont.edu/>