Yes, actually running the proxy on your Linksys router would be most likely too much for it to handle. Not to mention, there is really not an easy way to add a hard drive to these if you plan on doing web caching as well.

FYI, here is a little howto on how to transparently redirect web traffic to your proxy from a Linksys WRT54G (or something similar) using DD-WRT:

   http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Squid_Transparent_Proxy

-stacey.

Kevin Wise wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I actually already have a Linksys router for a hardware firewall, and I wasn't planning to replace that. For the two of you that recommended splitting the hardware, would it change your mind if I limited the new machine to content filtering proxy and NAS (and leave the firewall and NAT to the router)?

Kevin