> On 5 Dec 2000, at 8:59, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>
> > linuxrc uses the /linuxrc.tty device.  Change the properties of this
> > device to get the linuxrc output to go where you want.
>
> In the boot code to Oxygen, I can't find any reference to
> /linuxrc.tty - I don't know if this holds for LRP 2.9.7+ ... also,
> /linuxrc.tty points to /dev/tty1, which is not a reasonable TTY -
> boot messages go to /dev/console, which is typically /dev/tty0 or
> /dev/ttyS0 right?

References to linuxrc.tty can be found in the linuxrc_always patch, which
modifies linux/init/main.c to use linuxrc.tty instead of
/dev/somethingorother

> > You can perhaps replicate the output of linuxrc using the tee
> > command or creative use of redirects in linuxrc, but I'm not sure
> > how you'd join the keyboard and serial inputs...
>
> With the code I have now, the following are true:
>
> * Output goes to both /dev/tty0 and /dev/ttyS0
> * Input comes from /dev/ttyS0
> * Input from /dev/tty0 is ignored....
>
> It is this last I'd like to change...

Again, without writing some code, I don't know if you can 'glue together'
the input from two devices, but I'm really not an expert with linux.  I only
know about the linuxrc.tty because I just migrated the linuxrc_always patch
to the 2.4 kernel, so I was crawling through this code recently.

Also, this depends somewhat on exactly what you want to do.  Do you need the
input streams joined before or after linuxrc is running?  If you need them
joined prior to linuxrc running, if there's not already support for this in
the kernel, you'll have to add it.  If you can wait until linuxrc runs, you
can perhaps do something with user mode code, redirection, or maybe
someone's already written something like this.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net