On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 01:46:57PM -0800, Scott C. Best scribbled:
> Mike, Rick:
>
>       I think it'd be *huge* to add some traffic shaping to LEAF,
> with the caveat that we provide a setup interface to it as well, in
> the same manner that we provide one for ipchains. That is, we pick
> a shaper/bw-manager package, and we bundle it with a script of
> the same UI-flavor as our firewall script.

I've been considering writing a script that reads a whitespace-delimited
table of ipchains rule info that would be quite human readable and turns
it into [and runs] a bunch of ipchains rules. It would be no sweat,
according to the link I sent [quoted below], to add traffic shaping
functionality to it.

>       I was looking once at a CBQ solution, and convinced
> myself that I could get away with only three bandwidth "classes"
> or "priorities" for most target LEAF installations: high-speed,
> low-speed, and "time-critical" mode. High-speed would be what LRP
> is without shaping, and low speed would be used to intentionally
> sit on some LAN machine's peak bandwidth (eg, Junior's PC can only
> get 56k). The "time-critical" class would be to suit people using
> VoIP, Quake, or other streaming apps that want isochronicity.

I think you can actually assign different priorities based on any
of ipchains's options, not just source or destinatino IP. I have
only briefly scanned the article I linked, but it looks like you
just tag shaping options onto any old ipchains command.

Of course, my memory could have corrupted this since I looked at
it last night about this time, in which case I'm pretty much
talking out of my ass for this whole thing.