On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Mike Noyes wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED], 2001-04-20 16:30 -0700
> >On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Mike Noyes wrote:
> >
> > > David Douthitt, 2001-04-20 16:25 -0500
> > >
> > > Would someone explain to me why we shouldn't use cramfs? I believe it
> > > works with floppies too.
> >
> >This is designed to remain mounted indefinitely, which is appropriate for
> >flashram, but I feel this is inappropriate for the floppy.
>
> Jeff,
> That doesn't sound good, but how is it different from the backup scripts we
> use now?

The disk need not be accessed for months at a time in an LRP box.

> I thought this might be a good way to write protect hard drives
> and flash disks.

Perhaps... or it may actually be _too_ restrictive, since you simply don't
have the option to write anything to it... almost like a cd, without the
media portability.

This seems appropriate for a truly single-purpose hardware device, since
you don't need such a big ramdisk, and you don't want to customize
it.  When dealing with the variety of hardware that LRP can handle,
though, it seems like too much work.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
Work:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing