> Charles Steinkuehler, 2001-04-27 11:36 -0500
> >Either run disk quotas, or put /var/log on a seperate partition, so it
> >doesn't run the whole filesystem out of space.  Neither solution is
> >perfect, but making a /var/log partition is already implemented (see my
> >ramdisk.lrp), and wouldn't even require any extra room on the boot
> >device, if we pull the mkminixfs functionality out of the kernel and put
> >it in busybox (see earlier e-mails on booting LRP with a standard
kernel).

> Charles,
> Is this the design you want to implement in "Quercus"?

Yes.  I think the ability to use standard kernels is a big benifit, we get
other benifits by moving the code to create & format ramdisks out of the
kernel and into user space (not the least of which is more flexability).

As soon as I get my head out of robotland, I plan to make some scripts that
boot this way, to be followed by attempts to see how small I can get a
system that can bootstrap a root filesystem to a new ramdisk.  If it can be
made small enough (minimal busybox linked with uClibc & a sub-set of the ash
shell), the contents of the bootstrap initial-ramdisk can be entirely
replaced by stuff loaded from standard tar.gz files, giving us the greatest
flexability.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net