> At 05:21 PM 6/18/01 -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> >I just got a call from the Monta-Vista folks (makers of Hard-Hat).
> >
> >I wanted to get their reaction to our possible use of the HardHat
platform
> >as a cross-compile environment, and what sort of comittment they have to
> >keeping a free version available.
> >I have the Journeyman CD's, but have yet to install and evaluate the
> >development environment.  I'll try to get to this in the next week or so,
> >and report back.
>
> May I ask how you managed to get them? I've tried for months to get a set
of
> disks from them, and Marketing always tells me "Real Soon Now". Last time
> asked was at their Embedded Systems Conference booth back in April. I just
> now tried to go to their download page and it crashed my (Netscape on
> Windows) browser. Twice.

I downloaded them from their website (using IE on windows):
ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/Journeyman/

It looks like their FTP server spits out malformed response headers, in an
attempt to be graphical & GUI.  I couldn't get IE to reload the link above,
but I could get to it with a command line FTP client...

> Monta Vista's Embedded Linux doesn't look to me like the best around
> (Lineo's Embedix looks better, based on comparing literature, not samples)
> ... but it sure looks like the best low-cost version. If we could refer
> people to a version that was readily available to people who do not have
> their own CD burners, I agree that it would address a lot of the issues we
> wrestle with.

Hmm...I forget not everyone has a CD rom burner yet.  Perhaps a qualifer for
any disto should be the ability to mirror the CD and/or sell copies at
minimal cost...

Of course, it's pretty hard to buy a Debian Slink (or RH 5.x) CD in today's
world, so most w/o a CD burner would be stuck (or have to ask for help) as
well...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net