Hi All,

I am in the unfortunate position of being a Telstra customer.  I
stupidly thought that due to the immense profits that Telstra continues
to make, they would have had the initiative to put some of this money
back into building their infrastructure.  I was sadly mistaken.

It appears that Telstra has decided that users of their Cable and ADSL
Freedom (sic) Plan service will now be subjected to a limit of 3GB
traffic per month.  This is a total of 3GB inbound and outbound.  For a
broadband service that was advertized as having "unlimited" monthly
traffic, this is a kick in the guts.  The average unlimited modem
connection costs about AU$20 (US$10.50) per month, has unlimited monthly
traffic, and I can pull around 0.5GB/day over a modem, approx
15GB/month.  Now, the Cable Freedom (sic) Plan costs AU$71.55 (US$35)
per month, allows about 100MB/day (3GB/month), and is limited in every
way you look at it.

Telstra's Freedom (sic) Plan has the following terms of use:
1. You cannot run an Internet Server on this connection (web, ftp,
filesharing, mail, etc)
2. You cannot connect a LAN to this service (including hardware
firewalls, by definition)
3. You cannot have more than 3GB of total traffic per month (inbound and
outbound)
4. You have a maximum inbound/outbound speed of 512kbps/128kbps

If anyone can see where the term "freedom" applies under these
conditions, please enlighten me.

With the unfortunate situation where Telstra refuses to invest in their
own network infrastructure, this means that they will cram as many
people onto their seriously underperforming Broadband network as they
can, and limit their customer's use of this network to FAR BELOW what
they could achieve with a normal dialup account and a 56kbps modem.

My recommendations to all Internet users in Australia who are
considering connecting to the Telstra Broadband network - look at Optus,
they have a *much* better plan, conditions and business outlook for
their clients.

Now, getting off my soapbox, I have modified Charles' Es2B images for
both Optus@Home and Telstra Broadband Cable users in Australia.  These
are available at http://users.bigpond.net.au/htravis for download by
anoyone who so chooses.

What I want to do is this:
1. Change from the older ES2B to the newer images that have been created
2. Remove *all* reference to www.linuxrouter.org for obvious reasons
3. Have the ability to archive the logs daily and mail them out of the
system
4. Have the ability to graph the traffic through the router per internal
IP address, either on the router directly, or most probably by using the
mailed logs on another machine (with a hard drive that can store the
data for longer).
5. Make this image available for all users who need/want it

Due to the immense amount of work I have on at the moment, and my
limited Linux experience, I am unable to get this all sorted out for a
few weeks.  I would *really* appreciate those with the necessary
knowledge/experience to make suggestions about my goals, and the
likelihood that they can be achieved.  Or, of course, improvements upon
my ideas!

Any and all input in this area, I'm sure, will help other users of LEAF
and help the project in general.

Regards,

Hilton Travis           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager                 Telephone: +61-419-792-394  _--_|\
Quark AudioVisual                                  /      *
Quark Computers                                    \_.--._/
(Brisbane, Australia)                                    v