----- Original Message -----
From: "arne @ loopback . org" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I would go a step further. make a minimal busybox only containing very
few
> applets(tar,msh as shell,mount,ls,cat,...) And link it statically with
> uClibc. This will result in a quite small binary and you don't need to
> include a big libc...
I do not the interest of doing that in an LRP distro. You will need libc
and ld-linux libraries anyway so why not putting them in initrd.gz ? If
you compile statically even with uClibc you would loose disk space at
the end...
> > That is why you really don't need to back-up this as you would need
it
> > for a standard package with config files  and the like. And I also
do
> > not see the need to make modification to root.linuxrc in the LRP
> > environnement: there is not reason to change this script outside of
LRP
> > development.
> > My only concern with this is the initial module loading introduced
by
> > Charles in dachstein. But I think I have found a solution to take
care
> > of this. See previous post.
>
> The Problem with your previous post is, that you can not load the
> loadmod.lrp from the boot medium cause you need the modules from there
> access your boot medium.
I  do not understand that. If you need to mount a special driver to read
your boot medium, obviously you cannot have either the original root.lrp
nor my boomod.lrp package on this boot medium. It has to be on a floppy.
> I would prefer to put it into the kernel, this would lead to a few
customed
> kernels, but only a few. As i want to concentrate my work on LRP for
Systems
> with CD,harddisk or flashdisk i have no Problem with a larger kernel.
Obviously that is a safe solution.
> My main Problem is to have it the size to fit on a floppy. But if we
do not
> use a embedded libc we will run into problems anyway, as fewer
programs will
> support glibc-2.0.7 and we have to switch to another libc. This will
break
> the floppy stuff (as using kernel 2.4 might).
Well I guess we will have to move to glibc 2.1 or 2.2 at some point. But
we all know that will lead to a somewhat bigger LRP distro...
Jacques