Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> The next version will likely use /dev/cdrom, and intelligently make that a
> symlink to the first found CD-Rom.

I wrote a shell script that returns all found IDE cdroms by scanning
through /proc/ide - interested?

> This will work for PKGPATH as well, and
> I think I can even auto-detect SCSI CD-ROMS, although I don't have a way to
> test it (all my SCSI CD's are installed on remote server systems, so I can
> check /proc/scsi, but I can't stick in a CD and reboot :)

How do you go about finding a SCSI CDROM?  All of our systems around
here use IDE CDROMs - including those that are primarily SCSI-based
systems (!).  Seems the Compaq servers like to use SCSI hard drives with
bootable IDE CDROMs - pretty interesting if you're trying to use LILO :(
...so now we use GRUB instead...

I don't see anything in /proc/scsi that tells you if the widget at a
SCSI address is a CDROM, Hard Drive, WORM, or what.... at least in
/proc/ide there's a file called "media" ...