> >This was the BIG trip up; ROOT= must NOT be /dev/ram or /dev/ram0, but
> >anything else.  initrd.txt never says this... in fact, initrd.txt
> >never considers the fact that it might be used for a floppy-based
> >Linux...
> >
> At least for 2.4 kernels this isn't completely correct. I put together a
> small-as-possible bootloader package and it runs with root=/dev/ram0.
> But, I do specify init=/linuxrc, just like Jacques.

In this case, linuxrc is NOT running as it would for a 'normal' ramdisk
environment, but is instead replacing the init process.  This means linuxrc
is responsible for mounting the real root device as root, and running init
when it finishes (init...or linuxrc in this case...should NEVER exit).  Most
of this is done automatically by the kernel if you use the initrd
functionality the way it was intended.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net