OK. My suggestion is that we need something short and sweet, something that
is not comprehensive (by a long shot) but that contains a short list of
items that covers the most common things we need to know.

It's part of a general ambition I have to put the F back in FAQ (by which I
mean that FAQs grow over time, but old Q&As that no longer fit the
"frequently" part of the FAQ term never get culled out).

Here's my first-draft suggestion for a new item:

---begin sample---

Q. If I want help troubleshooting a connectivity failure with my LEAF
router, what information you you need from me?

A. The exact information needed will vary by what trouble needs shooting. As
a general matter, exact quoting of error messages, log entries, command
output, and such, is better than your trying to paraphrase or summarize them.

When asking for general help with routing or firewalling questions, you
should ALWAYS include this information:

        the exact name of the LEAF distribution and version
                you are running
        the exact kernel version you are running
        the complete, exact output of "ip addr show"
        the complete, exact output of "netstat -nr"
        the exact wording of any ping failure responses

Depending on the specific problem, you may want to include some or all of
the following:

        the exact output of "lsmod"  [typically for NIC-related problems]
        the exact output of "ipchains -nvL" [typically for firewall-
                related problems]
        [add here whatever the corresponding one is to check port-
                forwarding rules in place]
        any messages from dhclient in your logs [typically for setup
                of DHCP-dynamic external connections]
        any messages from ppp or pppoe in your logs [typically for
                setup of PPPoE-dynamic external connections]

This is not an exhaustive list; we've tried here to cover only the most
common sorts of troubleshooting problems that arise. If you have a less
common problem, or if you use an ISP that does something unusual, you may
need to provide other specifics to get good help.

---end sample---