> > > The trainer told me, that the "Drop-In configuration" (ProxyARP DMZ)
is
> > less
> > > secure than the routed DMZ. I didn't say anything and thought
> > "Uh, really?
> > > Why?".
> >
> > Good for you!
>
> Good for me that I didn't say anything or good for me that I'm going to
make
> the WCP? :)

Good for you that you question rather than simply believe...

> Unfortunately, you can't define in which chain rules go. (Watchguard
> Fireboxes run on a highly modified kernel 2.0.38)
> I don't know in which chain the organize their DMZ stuff.
>
> She told me, that she'll explain the whole DMZ stuff more exactly
tomorrow.
> Let's see if she knows what she's talking about... ;)

Ah...with a 2.0 series kernel, you do *NOT* have a very flexible platform.
As there are things you can do with 2.4 kernels and iptables that are
difficult or impossible with ipchains, there's a *LOT* you can't do with a
2.0 kernel's packet filtering.  I'm not familiar enough with the 2.0 stuff
to know for sure, but that could very well be why a proxy-arp based DMZ
isn't as secure.  If so, just note that it's an artifical limitation of the
firewall, and not a basic problem with the topology.

Charles Steinkuehler