On 2/27/02 at 4:28 PM, Serge Caron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello David,

Hello!

> You are working under the premise that a file has one and
> only one package of residence. Please note that this is an
> observation and not a value judgment of any kind: AFAIK,
> there is nothing wrong with this premise.

Understood - and true.

> The natural consequence of this premise is that packages
> can be loaded in an indeterminate order since, under this
> premise, there is no name space conflict between packages.

True.

> Some files are duplicated in config.lrp...

> ....as you noted elsewhere, this single package is loaded
> last and is therefore excluded from possible name space
> conflicts since it is processed differently than any other
> package. This does not impact your premise.

When I added special handling for config.lrp, I chafed at the fact
that the "specialness" of it was limited to a package named
config.lrp.  With Oxygen 1.8 and 1.9, the special configuration
package can be named anything as long as it's in the configuration
file that way.

This package IS handled specially, and is loaded last and over the top
of whatever was there before.  The reason the "name space conflict"
does not exist is that it is ignored - config.lrp by definition
contains nothing but name space conflicts; all of its files SHOULD
exist in other packages already...

> >However.... even with the original idea, root.lrp was NOT
> >supposed to change.  So the only things that will show up
> >in any package defined by "./" will be files that SHOULD
> >be in another package....

> This is a not a natural consequence of your premise. You
> are implictly claiming that there is a mapping of the
> entire file system into LEAF/LRP packages for everybody to
> consult.

I would claim this, yes.

> You are also claiming that it is an error to
> store in root.lrp any contents other than what you
> designed in.

I would claim that, yes.

> The former claim is Michael's quest: if there is such a
> mapping, where can we consult it and where is the body
> that will manage such a beast?

Well, I went and tried to remove pretty much everything from root.lrp
- so my "base" actually has about 12 packages - the base disk has 27
or so.  However, when I booted LRP again, I saw it had about 9 total.
I don't think you CAN standardize on a mapping.  After all, in Oxygen,
so many things are packages that are part of root.lrp in Dachstein or
Bering...

> The later claim means that the base system is not extensible.

Don't give up; show us how to be more flexible....