Hi,

I may be missing something in this, so do CMIIW, but;

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:18:31AM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> > > there is a *=* case which resets the parameter list in sh-httpd, it
> > > disables constructs like
> > >
> > > foo=bar&baz=foo
> > >
> > > I guess parameters without a value would pass fine
> >
> > Thanks for the detail...I'll see if I can remember why this was
> > specifically added when reviewing the code (hopefully sometime in the
> > near future).
>
> OK, I dug out my CGI references, and what I have indicates the command
> line arguments should only be parsed and provided to scripts if the GET
> or HEAD request does *NOT* contain an unencoded equals sign, which is
> why the arguments are cleared if there's an equal sign present.

Knowing nothing at all about any of these issues, I went ahead and built
the form for setting times etc. on my blinder-thingie using how-to's and
a couple of similar pages  as template.
This is on the weblet that comes with bering 1.0rc2. It's GET, plain and
simple, it works nicely, and the sort of string that is passed to my
script by weblet in $QUERY_STRING is:

SelDAY=1&SUNUP=0630&SUNRISE=30&SUNDOWN=2230&SUNSET=1&ONOFF=1

Just to be sure, I went and checked the script that parses this, and it
does indeed look for the '='s (and the '?'s) in order to break it up.

I looked at sh-httpd, and I see the place in do-cgi() where it checks
for '*=*', but either:

There's something I don't understand, or
It doesn't work as intended... (?)

I just thought I should mention this, in case someone is about to go
over sh-httpd, and passing multiple arguments in this fashion is a
no-no...

> My understanding is cgi scripts recieving data like the above example
> via a GET or HEAD request are supposed to refer to the QUERY_STRING
> variable, which should be properly exported by sh-httpd.

- or maybe this explains it?

In any case, FWIW I agree that authentication, however nice it would
be, can't compete with tunneling through ssh... 0.02 <currency>

Regards,
Jon